Working with an EEM

Homeowners and developers often require an ecologist or environmental manager to undertake ecological surveys and mitigation work in relation to a building project. Contracting a CIEEM member means that you are engaging a professional whose competence has been assessed as part of their membership registration. You also have access to a complaints procedure if things go wrong.

You can find an appropriate CIEEM member for your project by using our Members Directory, but before you do so you may find the following information helpful.

A Householder’s Guide to Engaging an Ecologist provides advice on how to ensure that you get the services that you need for your project when asking for quotes.

What to Expect from a Bat Survey: A Guide for UK Homeowners explains in more detail the process for commissioning bat surveys, which are often required for planning applications.

Our Guide to Ecological Surveys and their Purpose describes different types of survey reports that you may be asked for by a planning authority. Our advice note on Permitted Development Rights and Biodiversity provides useful information on the application of the system in England.